If you are looking for a storage container, there are a few things you need to take into consideration. The first thing you need to know that a storage container is not a self-storage facility, although there are some very clear similarities. Self-storage is actually a more expensive option and will usually be away from your personal property. With a storage container, the container will be customized to your needs and delivered to the address you want.
Some Things to Consider
There are a number of things you must take into consideration so that you are able to get the container that is most suitable to your needs:
- Think about security. Most people will not store incredibly important or expensive things in storage containers. However, that is not to say that you can’t. Do make sure, however, that you have an excellent locking system on the container itself. A good container rental company will always include a branded locking system to protect your goods.
- There are three standard sizes for storage containers, being 10, 20 or 40 foot. Some others do exist, but they are not as common.
- Make sure you choose a container that is resistant to rust and corrosion. A steel container is generally the best. Do make sure you check whether it is indeed resistant as you should never assume anything.
- Think about the doors on your container. You need to make sure that you can open it, quite obviously. Not just that, however, while it may sound nifty to have the most technologically advanced locking system possible on your container, if you don’t know how to open it, there is little point to it.
- You can have your container customized. They can be turned into classrooms or mobile offices, for instance. This means they can also be used on various locations where construction may be taking place. Commonly, we see containers used at construction sites for security offices. Indeed, you can even add amenities like air conditioning.
- You can choose whether to have the storage container on your site, or whether it should remain with the owning company.
- Your rental agreement should include the length of time you want to rent it for, but you may want to add the ability to make this period longer or shorter.
- Container rental may be tax deductible, so make sure you keep your receipts.
- Review the company you want to rent from online and find out what others have said about them, their service and their product.
- Make sure the container is in excellent condition before you accept it. Find out whether there are faulty doors, dents or rust spots for instance. This is because, if you don’t spot them when you accept the container, you will be charged for these issues when you return it. Any damage should be documented and photographed and details should be noted in the contract.