One of the worst things that can happen to a traveler is losing their luggage or losing some of its contents to theft. There’s nothing much you can do about a lost baggage than report it to the airline personnel and wait for it to be delivered to you. However, you can always take extra measures to ensure your belongings are protected, such as getting a luggage lock.
Do theft regularly occur in airports?
You may not know a lot of people who have been victims of airport/airline theft, but they do happen. And these incidents of luggage theft are not just in airports, but in other places as well. Thieves are present wherever tourists converge, such as in train stations, bus stations, and seaports, among others.
Should you get a big, heavy duty lock?
Not necessarily. A crook will find a way to open your luggage if he or she is really determined. And if you buy a regular lock, they (the thieves) can easily unlock it without the use of a key. What you need is a device that can tell you if your lock has been tampered with or not. There are products in the market designed to do just that. Some of them even have labels so you would know if they have been replaced or not. Plus, they are lightweight so it’s easy to carry them around.
Other tips for people who travel
Traveling should be a fun and enjoyable experience. Losing your luggage or your belongings can really dampen your mood, so make sure you are extra cautious about your things during your entire trip. Here are a few reminders to keep in mind when you’re traveling:
- Put highly valuable items in your carry-on. Jewelry, money, gadgets and travel documents should be in your handbag.
- Place something to help you identify your luggage. This is especially true for common-looking strollers and bags. You can tie a yellow ribbon on the handle or even place your name tag so that no one else will mistaken it for theirs.
- Don’t leave your valuables in your hotel room. Some hotels have safes but they are not always reliable. Professional thieves can still open them. It’s best to bring your valuables with you everywhere you go to be certain.
- When sightseeing, you should remain fully aware of your surroundings. Pickpockets abound in tourist hotspots.
- Avoid dark areas especially at night. Everywhere you go, there’s always a chance you’ll get mugged. Criminals are everywhere. To be safe, stay away from dark alleys and try not to roam around alone at night.
Luggage locks provide an excellent way to keep your belongings safe in your bag when you travel. They’re certainly worth buying because at the very least, you’ll have peace of mind. But you also have to do your part to ensure you don’t lose your possessions during your trips. By doing all these things, you can have a more enjoyable and hassle-free holiday.